Baridi Gardens, Bidar (Karnataka)
The tombs of the Baridis, who succeeded the Bahmani rulers in Bidar in the first decade of the 16th century, occupy a large space within the modern city of Bidar and are a distance of 2 kilometres from the Fort of Bidar. It is the garden landscape that surrounds the historic sepulchres of the most famous Baridi ruler, Ali Baridi (1542-1580) and his son, Ibrahim Shah (1580-87) that is the focus of this feasibility study undertaken by DHF London with the help of DHF India.
Around the tombs, traces of two historic gardens are evident along with their accompanying waterworks systems. The first and smallest garden located within the mosque/pilgrims hostel compound belonging to the majestic mausoleum of Ali Baridi is entirely symmetrical, the first of its type in the Deccan and probably India. This symmetrical garden precedes the Chahar Bagh architectural landscapes of the Mughals in Hindustan by approximately 20 years. The second is a meadow garden distinguished by a mango orchard. The restoration of these landscapes together with their waterworks will:
- Improve the urban landscape of Bidar.
- Will highlight the importance of this cultural heritage not only within the Deccani context but also for India in general.
- And the combined Deccani garden and funerary edifices, will add one more landscape to the garden history of the subcontinent.
The Bidar District Administration will fund the implementation of this project that will be based on the feasibility study of the DHF, under the auspices of the Archaeological Survey of India, the legal owner this historic funerary ensemble and its environment. DHF India will provide the necessary technical assistance.